“A lot of comedy takes place in the kitchen,” says Kasch. “We’ve had the toaster light on fire because Luke was trying to re-rig it, or pancakes getting stuck on the ceiling, or Luke falling out of his stool. There is so much action with the family in there, and that’s where the comedy mostly comes from on this show — real-life stories from Chris Lloyd and Steven Levitan.” Making the space look lived-in is a never-ending challenge for the designers. “We’re constantly changing out food items around the counter, or shuffling [things] around…. Episode to episode, there are very subtle changes,” says Bennett. Adds Kasch: “A dish breaks, you bring in new stuff, as in anyone’s house.”
Style & Design
'Modern Family': A behind-the-scenes tour of the Dunphys' kitchen
(Page 5 of 5)
- 'Pan' First Look: Hugh Jackman as villain pirate...but don't call him Hook
- American Music Awards 2014: Your take on Taylor Swift, J.Lo, more highs/lows?
- American Music Awards '14: We grade the performances
- American Music Awards 2014: 'Booty' gets buzz for J.Lo and Iggy
- American Music Awards 2014 style: What the stars wore
- 'Walking Dead' recap: 'Crossed'
- James Franco has 'All the Time' in smartphone ad; we have full version video of Bahamas song here
- 'Jurassic World' teases Thanksgiving trailer: 3 nods to 'Jurassic Park'