“Emma was blonde in Spider-Man, and she was a [brunette] in Zombieland… [so] by process of elimination, we went with red,” says Zophres, who, along with the heads of hair and makeup, had a say in what color Stone should dye her hair to play the role of Grace Faraday. “We had a ton of ideas for what [shade of] red, and we pulled a bunch of references [like] Christina Hendricks and Rita Hayworth.” As for Gosling’s well-dressed Sgt. Jerry Wooters, Zophres drew inspiration from the leading men of the day. “We looked at pictures of Errol Flynn and Clark Gable, [men who were] classic but stylish,” she explains.
EW's Special Coverage
Style & Design
'Gangster Squad' costume designer on dressing Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Sean Penn
(Page 3 of 5)
- 2013 Apocalypse Movie Quiz: Show what you know!
- Beyonce 'Visual Album': Preview the videos/songs
- 'Hobbit' as two movies? Peter Jackson's Plan B
- Jon Hamm interviews (former student) Ellie Kemper
- Julia Roberts: Flowers = 'Late Show' tears
- Tina + Amy: Darth Vader has two mommies?
- 'Spider-Man' spin-offs: 'Venom,' 'Sinister Six'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' recap: 'Get Up, Stand Up'