“Emma was blonde in Spider-Man, and she was a [brunette] in Zombieland… [so] by process of elimination, we went with red,” says Zophres, who, along with the heads of hair and makeup, had a say in what color Stone should dye her hair to play the role of Grace Faraday. “We had a ton of ideas for what [shade of] red, and we pulled a bunch of references [like] Christina Hendricks and Rita Hayworth.” As for Gosling’s well-dressed Sgt. Jerry Wooters, Zophres drew inspiration from the leading men of the day. “We looked at pictures of Errol Flynn and Clark Gable, [men who were] classic but stylish,” she explains.
EW's Special Coverage
Style & Design
'Gangster Squad' costume designer on dressing Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Sean Penn
- 'Grey's Anatomy' sneak peek: Meredith and Maggie go toe-to-toe
- 'Walking Dead': Get up to speed in 60 seconds
- Rory Gilmore Reading Project creator to dive into all 338 books named on series; 7 he's liked so far
- 'Big Bang Theory' recap: 7 favorite laugh lines
- 'Castle' season premiere: Your take on 'Driven'?
- 'Castle' boss tips us off to 5 things to look for this season
- 'The Blacklist'; 'Dancing With the Stars'; 'Gotham'; 'The Voice'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; more recaps
- 'SNL': Bill Hader on chat with Lorne Michaels about Pete Davidson ('By the way, do you want to host?')
Top 5 Most Read
- 'The Walking Dead' star Emily Kinney says there's 'definitely a connection' between Beth and Daryl
- 'Castle' season 7 premiere recap: Where in the world is Richard Castle?
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: Raining on prom night
- Tony Almeida wants out of solitary in new '24' Blu-ray feature
- 'Mythbusters': Discovery responds to fan outrage over dumping Kari Byron