“Emma was blonde in Spider-Man, and she was a [brunette] in Zombieland… [so] by process of elimination, we went with red,” says Zophres, who, along with the heads of hair and makeup, had a say in what color Stone should dye her hair to play the role of Grace Faraday. “We had a ton of ideas for what [shade of] red, and we pulled a bunch of references [like] Christina Hendricks and Rita Hayworth.” As for Gosling’s well-dressed Sgt. Jerry Wooters, Zophres drew inspiration from the leading men of the day. “We looked at pictures of Errol Flynn and Clark Gable, [men who were] classic but stylish,” she explains.
EW's Special Coverage
Style & Design
'Gangster Squad' costume designer on dressing Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Sean Penn
- 'Game of Thrones' recap: 'Breaker of Chains'
- 'Mad Men' recap: 'A Day's Work'
- Atlanta 'Housewives' recap: Kenya get your scepter
- 'Good Wife' recap: 'All Tapped Out'
- 'Once Upon a Time' recap: 'Bleeding Through'
- 'Game of Thrones': Aidan Gillen says...
- 'Captain America 2' back at No. 1, hits $200M total
- 'Dick Van Dyke Show' finale: 'we were doing a classic'
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Game of Thrones' recap: Slaves to Love
- Neil Patrick Harris yells at fan during 'Hedwig' performance
- 'Once Upon a Time' recap: The Heart of the Matter
- 'Game of Thrones' Aidan Gillen on the return of Littlefinger
- TV Jukebox: 'Game of Thrones,' 'Scandal,' 'Mad Men,' and more of the week's best music-on-TV moments