“Emma was blonde in Spider-Man, and she was a [brunette] in Zombieland… [so] by process of elimination, we went with red,” says Zophres, who, along with the heads of hair and makeup, had a say in what color Stone should dye her hair to play the role of Grace Faraday. “We had a ton of ideas for what [shade of] red, and we pulled a bunch of references [like] Christina Hendricks and Rita Hayworth.” As for Gosling’s well-dressed Sgt. Jerry Wooters, Zophres drew inspiration from the leading men of the day. “We looked at pictures of Errol Flynn and Clark Gable, [men who were] classic but stylish,” she explains.
EW's Special Coverage
Style & Design
'Gangster Squad' costume designer on dressing Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Sean Penn
- 'Honey Boo Boo' canceled by TLC 'effective immediately'
- Damian Lewis back at Showtime in pilot for a Wall Street drama with Paul Giamatti
- 'Game of Thrones' actor Charles Dance signs on for Syfy's 'Childhood's End'
- 'Terminator' blows away a first-time viewer's misconceptions
- Peter Jackson lets us peek at his prep work for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'Justified' season 6 teaser welcomes Raylan back for his farewell season
- 'Grey’s Anatomy': Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- 'Project Runway' winner: 'It's just sinking in now'
Top 5 Most Read
- Aaron Paul takes on Toys 'R' Us after 'Breaking Bad' toys are pulled
- TLC cancels 'Honey Boo Boo'
- Peter Jackson walks us through his battle plans for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- The 17 most important GIFs from the 'Avengers 2' trailer