“We took inspiration from the real Mickey Cohen, but we didn’t base [Sean's] clothes on his,” admits Zophres, who says she had a good reason for taking sartorial license with the character’s wardrobe. “He was a shlumpy, roly-poly guy who wore suits [made of] slick fabric. You don’t want Sean Penn to look like the real Mickey Cohen. We wanted [Sean's character] to look fierce and intimidating; He beats the crap out of the sheriff in walking slippers.”
EW's Special Coverage
Style & Design
'Gangster Squad' costume designer on dressing Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Sean Penn
- Ryan Murphy reveals an 'American Horror Story' secret: Seasons 'are all connected'
- 'Bad Judge,' 'A to Z' to be canceled by NBC
- Billy Bob Thornton's 'Big Bang Theory' cameo: How it happened
- 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer Yes/No/Can't Say (or more) to your Twitter Q's
- 'SNL' lights up Sia's 'Chandelier,' more of the week's best music on TV
- 'Amazing Race' recap: 'I Feel Like I Just Kissed a Goat'
- 'Showrunners' documentary: Insights from Kurt Sutter, Hart Hanson, Mike Kelley
- 'Interstellar' review: Awe-fully sappy
Top 5 Most Read
- NBC to cancel 'Bad Judge,' 'A to Z' with zombie twist
- Ryan Murphy on the different seasons of 'American Horror Story': 'They're all connected'
- The Hot Seat: 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer burning questions
- How 'The Big Bang Theory' scored Billy Bob Thornton for a surprise guest spot
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Scandal,' 'Walking Dead, 'Blacklist' and more