“We took inspiration from the real Mickey Cohen, but we didn’t base [Sean's] clothes on his,” admits Zophres, who says she had a good reason for taking sartorial license with the character’s wardrobe. “He was a shlumpy, roly-poly guy who wore suits [made of] slick fabric. You don’t want Sean Penn to look like the real Mickey Cohen. We wanted [Sean's character] to look fierce and intimidating; He beats the crap out of the sheriff in walking slippers.”
EW's Special Coverage
Style & Design
'Gangster Squad' costume designer on dressing Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Sean Penn
(Page 2 of 5)
- 'SNL' ready: Clips of 11 funny black women
- 'Spider-Man' spin-offs: Heroes and villains
- 'Normal Heart': First Look photo
- 'Once Upon a Time' preview: 'Peter Pan never fails'
- 2013 Apocalypse Movie Quiz: Show what you know!
- Beyonce 'Visual Album': Preview the videos/songs
- Tina + Amy: Darth Vader has two mommies?
- Jon Hamm interviews (former student) Ellie Kemper
Top 5 Most Read
- Disney Channel plans original movie 'Descendants,' featuring teenage kids of classic villains
- Golden Globes: Alfonso Cuaron on his bumpy 'Gravity' journey and the inaccuracy you never noticed
- 'Grey's Anatomy' recap: Stand Up and Take It
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler reveal 'Star Wars VII' roles; J.J. Abrams responds
- 'Scandal' recap: 'The Devil Came In'