“We took inspiration from the real Mickey Cohen, but we didn’t base [Sean's] clothes on his,” admits Zophres, who says she had a good reason for taking sartorial license with the character’s wardrobe. “He was a shlumpy, roly-poly guy who wore suits [made of] slick fabric. You don’t want Sean Penn to look like the real Mickey Cohen. We wanted [Sean's character] to look fierce and intimidating; He beats the crap out of the sheriff in walking slippers.”
EW's Special Coverage
Style & Design
'Gangster Squad' costume designer on dressing Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Sean Penn
(Page 2 of 5)
- 'Pretty Little Liars' react: 'Unbridled'
- 'Game of Thrones' team: 7 seasons is the plan
- 'Between Two Ferns': How Obama clip happened
- Chris Harrison's 'Bachelor' blog: 'After the Final Rose'
- 'Bachelorette': Andi expectations?
- 'Veronica Mars': 10 essential episodes
- Charlaine Harris' 'Midnight Crossroad': New teaser
- 'Flash': First look at full-body costume