“We took inspiration from the real Mickey Cohen, but we didn’t base [Sean's] clothes on his,” admits Zophres, who says she had a good reason for taking sartorial license with the character’s wardrobe. “He was a shlumpy, roly-poly guy who wore suits [made of] slick fabric. You don’t want Sean Penn to look like the real Mickey Cohen. We wanted [Sean's character] to look fierce and intimidating; He beats the crap out of the sheriff in walking slippers.”
EW's Special Coverage
Style & Design
'Gangster Squad' costume designer on dressing Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Sean Penn
- 'Manhattan Love Story' is first fall show to be canceled
- Zoe Saldana on first profile in her 'My Hero' series: My mom 'really let us find our own voice'
- Comic-book collecting: What draws you to it?
- Regina Spektor's 'Love Me or Leave Me' from 'Boardwalk Empire': Hear it
- Monica Potter describes her perfect 'Parenthood' ending
- Benedict Cumberbatch tries to walk like Beyonce; let the memes begin...
- 'Justified' season 6 teaser welcomes Raylan back for his farewell season
- Peter Jackson lets us peek at his prep work for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'