“We took inspiration from the real Mickey Cohen, but we didn’t base [Sean's] clothes on his,” admits Zophres, who says she had a good reason for taking sartorial license with the character’s wardrobe. “He was a shlumpy, roly-poly guy who wore suits [made of] slick fabric. You don’t want Sean Penn to look like the real Mickey Cohen. We wanted [Sean's character] to look fierce and intimidating; He beats the crap out of the sheriff in walking slippers.”
EW's Special Coverage
Style & Design
'Gangster Squad' costume designer on dressing Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Sean Penn
- 'Simpsons' season premiere peek: Is Homer a goner?
- 'Once Upon a Time' writers come clean on 'Frozen'
- Comic-Con 2014 star portraits: Day 2
- Fox means Biz (Markie) at Comic-Con movie panel
- George R.R. Martin's reason for not writing for TV
- Samuel L. Jackson: How about a Nick Fury solo movie?
- 'Game of Thrones': Epic season 4 blooper reel
- Comic-Con '14: See who's in EW's Social Photo Booth