“We took inspiration from the real Mickey Cohen, but we didn’t base [Sean's] clothes on his,” admits Zophres, who says she had a good reason for taking sartorial license with the character’s wardrobe. “He was a shlumpy, roly-poly guy who wore suits [made of] slick fabric. You don’t want Sean Penn to look like the real Mickey Cohen. We wanted [Sean's character] to look fierce and intimidating; He beats the crap out of the sheriff in walking slippers.”
EW's Special Coverage
Style & Design
'Gangster Squad' costume designer on dressing Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Sean Penn
- 'Gotham' recap: What did you think of its 'Pilot'?
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: Age is just a state of mind
- Fall TV's most stylish characters
- 'Gone Girl' review: Put it on the 'A' list
- 11 things you'll want to know about the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover
- 'Sleepy Hollow' recap: 'This Is War'
- 'Scorpion' premiere react: Get smarter
- 'Lost' turns 10: Doc Jensen on the highs, lows, and legacy